Here is a quick and dirty guide to getting SonicWALL’s Analyzer software installed, configured, and displaying information about your hardware device:
- Download the SonicWALL Analyzer software for windows from MySonicwall.com
- Install using default options, and when prompted make sure to select the proper IP on the workstation/server to use to receive communications from the SonicWALL hardware device.
- Open port UDP 514 and UDP 162 on the Workstation/Server’s Windows Firewall to allow for Syslog and SNMP traffic to be sent to the server from the SonicWALL hardware Device.
- After Installation, reboot the Workstation/Server.
- Launch the SonicWALL Universal Management application from the start menu/desktop.
- Login with the default username /password of: admin/password.
- Set a new password for the UMH aspect of the software.
- Register the software with mysonicwall.com using the link at the top of the application.
- During the registration process, enter “ANALYZER” in the serial number field. Add a Description of the PC. Click Submit.
- Under the “Roles” section in the left hand pane, enter a username, password for the database and password for the database administrator. Click Update. Make sure to create a user account that IS NOT “root”, you can use anything but “root” for the database User.
- Under “Settings” section in the left hand pane, enter the SMTP settings necessary to send emails.
- On the SonicWALL, expand “Log” on the left, and then click on “ViewPoint”. Click “Add” and then enter the IP address of the workstation/server running analyzer.
- Install Java and flash on the Analyzer workstation/server.
- Attempt to log into the analyzer software now (same link as the Universal Management tool) and then you will be prompted to change your password for the analyzer user.
- Once Logged in, click on the “Firewall” tab at the top, then click the small button on the left to add a Hardware Device to be monitored.
This will get you up and running any analyzing traffic in real time.