I Figured I’d toss this information up here because every time I get a new computer I end up spending an hour of my life figuring this out again, it’s not overly complicated, but why spend any more time than I have to right?
- Okay, well first things first, we need to download and obtain the Windows 7 SDK from here.
- Start an installation, and when prompted, choose custom.
- Install only the Debugging Tools for Windows components
- Launch the Windbg.exe tool and enter the following command to set your symbol locations:
- Go to the File Menu, click “Save Workspace”
- Create a new System Environment Variable to remember that location for the future:
_NT_SYMBOL_PATH = symsrv*symsrv.dll*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
- Now you can start to analyze Crash dump files by clicking on File and then Open Crash Dump.