Monthly Archives: March 2011

Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 / 10.1 Beeps and skips a word when using Terminal Services

We have a client that uses Dragon Naturally Speaking 10.1 for Medical Practices. They ran into a problem that when a user was using Dragon, and had an open Remote Desktop Connection to a terminal server, Dragon would beep and then skip one or more words before continuing to transcribe.

After considerable testing we were able to verify that this only happens when the user has and open RDP connection, and the focus is in that RDP session.

This problem was resolved by editing a file called “nsapps.ini” that’s located in “c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\nuance\NaturallySpeaking10\

The following 2 lines were added to the file:
Key Delay=1

Once these changes were made, I restarted Dragon Naturally Speaking and was able to have the user test the software, there were no beeps, and no missed words, but there was a small keystroke delay between when the user stopped talking, and when Dragon transcribed the text.

Dell T710 R710 Servers Running 2008 R2 with Hyper-V Blue Screen

I had a problem not too long ago where a Dell Power Edge R710 (T710 in a rack chassis) blue screened about once a week. The Server was running Server 2008 R2 with only the Hyper-V role installed, and it was fully patched. The output of the dump file was:

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module
IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image
Followup: MachineOwner

I performed a little research and this appears to be related to systems running Xeon 5500 Series processors and a power saving feature in the BIOS called Enhanced Halt State (C1E). I went into the BIOS hoping to disable this, but I couldn’t find the option to disable it anywhere.

I then turned to Dell’s Support site and downloaded the newest revision to the BIOS, which at the time was 2.1.15_1. After the update there was an option for disable C1E in the BIOS, which I promptly disabled.

After 7 days testing I did end up getting this blue screen one more time. I double checked that C1E was disabled, which it was, but it still blue screened none the less. On a whim I also disabled power saving S3 feature in the BIOS and patiently waited another week.

After 7 days, it had not blue screened. Two weeks went by, no blue screen. After 4 weeks it was still running without a hitch so I called the case closed. It appears the combination of disabling C1E and S3 worked for me, but for many others disabling just C1E worked.

UPDATE: it appears that Microsoft has released an OS Hotfix for this that can be requested here.

Windows 7 takes a very long time to open Office 2003 files on Network Shares

I’ve been having this problem for a long time now, and quite frankly, have just been too lazy to fix it. The problem is it’s only been effecting mine, and one other person’s computer, and since I’m not really my own client, then I don’t really rate. At least in terms of solving my own problems.

Anyway, so after ignoring it for quite some time someone else figured out a solution and sent it my way. It seems that on x86 installs of Windows 7(that’s also running office 2007/2010), When office 2003 files are stored on a network share Windows 7 can take up to 4 minutes to open them.

While this is a fantastic feature, it’s not really desirable. There are two options to fix it. The first of which is to install a Hotfix from Microsoft, Hotfix KB0982860. It can be downloaded here. The second is a Client and Server Lanman Server registry change workaround.

Make the following registry changes:

On the file server locate this entry:


On the Client Computer locate this entry:


Change Both of these keys to “0” (zero):


Reboot both the client and the server and you should be all set.