In this write up I’m making the following assumptions:
- Your Client (Device trying to Connect to Chromecast) and your Chromecast are on SEPARATE zones. For example: Client is on the LAN and the Chromecast is on say, a wireless zone.
- The Wireless Access Point(s) that the Chromecast is connected to are already configured for Multicast (Ill have some other posts for how to configure those later. Update: Here and Here)
First off we need to enable multicast, and here is how we do that:
- Login to the SonicWALL and click Firewall Settings from the left hand pane
- The menu will expand, when it does click Multicast
- Check the box titled Enable Multicast
- UnCheck the box titled Require IGMP Membership reports for multicast data forwarding
- Select the radio button titled: Enable reception of all multicast addresses
- Click Accept at the top
- Now click Network from the left hand drop down, and when the menu expands click Zones
- For each Zone that will be participating with chromecast, click the configure icon, Check the box titled Allow Interface Trust if it’s not already selected. Click OK
- From the Network menu on the left click Interfaces. For each interface that’s part of any zone configured in step 8 perform the following: Click the configure icon for the interface, click the Advanced tab, check the box titled Enable Multicast Support. Click OK.
- Now click Firewall from the left hand drop down, and when the menu expands click Access Rules
- Select the radio button titled Matrix at the top
- For each zone that was configured in step 8, select the rule from ZONE to MULTICAST
- Ensure that there is an ALLOW rule with ANY listed for Source, Destination, and Service. If there is not an ALLOW ANY ANY ANY rule, create on. Repeat for each Zone that was configured in step 8
- Update: as James points out below, you also need a traditional bi-direction Allow rule between both zones.
- From your Client, open Chrome and download the extension “googlecast” if it’s not already installed.
- Verify that when you try to cast a tab, the Chromecast that’s located on the other interface/zone is listed.